10/8/09

Unetbootin

UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a variety of Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without requiring you to burn a CD. You can either let it download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.


In my attempt to 'refurbish' my MacBook Air, I now ran into the problem that it will boot from CD, but not from USB. Since the aim is to make it boot from some kind of SSD, be it Apple's own or some other solution, I am trying to get it to boot from USB.

So, trying to burn Refit to USB, add another partition, and install Fedora Life on that -which means tricking it with dd and syslinux, I hope- is the following route I am trying while preparing for an SSD install in my Mac.

In that process, I found a neat program for copying iso's to USB, Unetbootin.

Didn't work with Refit, back to dd?