12/25/11

MacBook Pro Fedora 16 Woes

I tried to upgrade to Fedora 16 on my Macbook, and it failed miserably. I could get the Live edition to spin, and it looked impressive, though I have a bit of doubts what the new interface does to programmer's productivity, but it doesn't play well with the EFI bootloader.

I even thought of buying a new laptop, but once you owned a Macbook, you're not going to downgrade very fast on that. I've owned lots of good laptops from Asus (great machines - like the M series), Dell (sometimes great, but I didn't like the XPS series), and now Apple (an old Air which overheated followed by a Macbook Pro). The only real machine which might be an upgrade might be an Asus Zenbook, but no backlight on the keys, and without info on the biggest problem -overheating- of these small machines, I won't buy it fast.

Fedora on a Macbook is the best of the software and hardware worlds, so I guess I am waiting for a patch.

(Great, I removed the EFI and HFS+ partitions -all Linux data is backed on a FAT partition- in the hope of getting a bootable system, and now nothing works anymore, except for the Live CD and booting from that. Guess removing EFI was one step too much.)

I can't believe I am still stuck in the 1970's with Apple boot loaders. The thing boots from the disk, by first booting from the Live CD. This might work, but it's for Ubuntu:
  1. If you have OSX installed, boot to it and mute sound. This assures that you won't be annoyed by the startup/poweron sound afterwards. I even used This software to be absolutely sure. Restart to confirm that no startup sound is audible.
  2. Prepare rEFIt boot disk (CD-RW).
  3. Boot Ubuntu install and remove all partitions, partition as you like for your Linux installation. Install Ubuntu, restart.
  4. Put in rEFIt CD and holding down alt key, boot rEFIT cd. Synchronize GUID and MBR. Restart.
  5. Insert OSX disc, boot from it, open terminal and enter following:bless --device /dev/disk0s2 --setBoot --legacy --verbose where /dev/disk0s2 is the partition you installed grub (do 'diskutil list' to find out correct partition). Of course, '--verbose' is optional. This makes Macbook EFI firmware boot your Linux installation in legacy mode without long delay (20s vs 3s).
  6. Restart your Mac (don't forget to remove OSX disc). And boot directly to Linux!